Visa and Permit
Does Indian Tourist visiting Bhutan require Visa?
No. Indian nationals or passport holders do not requires visa to visit Bhutan but are required to process permit to visit Bhutan. These permits can be processed at the port of entry on your arrival. The documents required for processing permits are as follows:
1. Valid Indian Passport with the minimum validity of 6 months. For those who don’t have valid passport can bring their Voter Identity Card issued by Election Commission of India.
2. Birth certificates for children without valid passport or Voter Identity Card.
3. Both birth certificates and valid student cards for school going children who do not have a valid passport or Voter Identity Card.
4. Few numbers of passport size photographs.
For those Indian nationals, entering Bhutan by road, can process their permit from immigration offices located within the border towns of Bhutan. Indian nationals are free to enter into border towns of Bhutan without any permit. Permits are required only to travel further into Bhutan from these border towns.
For those entering from Air can process their permit from Paro International Airport on producing the above mentioned necessary documents.
The permits granted at Paro International Airport and Phuntsholing (South West) will allow you to visit only Phuntsholing, Thimphu and Paro municipal areas. Permits granted from Samdrup Jongkhar (South East) will allow you to visit only Samdrupjongkhar, Trashigang, Trashi Yangtse and Mongar municipal areas. A further special permit must be processed from Thimphu, if you are to travel beyond the mentioned places.
The initial permits granted from the port of entry have a maximum validity of 7 days but extension up to 30 days will be granted from Thimphu on request.
Online permit system for Regional tourist visiting Bhutan.
With latest updates in Tourism policy, the regional tourist (Indian, Bangladeshis and Maldivians), visiting Bhutan via Phuntsholing and Paro can process their permit prior to their arrival in Bhutan through a licensed Bhutanese Tour Operators and TCB certified hotels. However to process online permit it is compulsory to book a full package tour (Licensed guide, minimum stay in 3 star hotels and local transportation).
Following documents must be submitted for processing your permit:
1. Mail us the scanned copy of your passport photo page with minimum validity of 6 months. Passport is mandatory to process online permit
2. Mail us one neat and clear passport size photo.
3. Tour itinerary, mentioning all the places you want to visit in Bhutan.